So, before I was a vet tech, I was a photographer. I could be found on deviantART, my own website, and Flickr. Then I started my own business, realized photography wasn’t my cup of tea and disappeared completely from all photo websites.
And now I’m back on deviantART. Below is my journal post on my new page of why I left and why I came back.
If you are really interested in my work, I can be found here.
For more on my name click here.
Yes, it’s me. The prodigal deviant. I was gone a long time, then I came back for a short time, then I was gone for a medium length of time…now I might be back for *insert time period here*.
Some of you may know me from before but I won’t tell you who I was. Those days have long since passed and I am a different person and and different deviant. Since those days I became a professional photographer and then gave it all up in an effort to follow my true calling…veterinary medicine. So now I’m more of a hobbyist who never actually participates in said hobby.
It’s true. Since giving up photography in 2009, I have picked up my cameras all of about two times in two years. When it became my job it stopped being my passion. When my passion (helping animals) became my job I realized that was actually my real passion. So I’m much happier now overall.
With that being said, I’m not happy with where my work was going. There are only so many different ways you can take a photo of the same flower…or different flowers for that matter…before you realize all your photos look the same. So, now I’m trying to be inspired by everyday life.
That was my problem professionally. I like dirt, grime, garbage, and the underbelly of society. Unfortunately, those photos don’t sell. So I took photos of pretty things…flowers, lakes, trees, etc. When I stopped shooting for myself, I was miserable and gave up…well and the photos that I was shooting for *normal* people weren’t selling either (damn economy). So now, I’m vowing to start shooting what I want again…screw the norm.
Information about my photography:
- I’m trained in film photography. *gasp* Yes, I am that old.
- I shoot film with a Nikon N2020 (the first Nikon released)
- I use Kodak Tri-X 400 film
- Since I don’t have access to a darkroom anymore I shoot with a Canon T1i
Other random tidbits about me that you really didn’t want to know:
- I’m dating a really awesome man who asked why I wasn’t following my passion for animals (after spending a great deal of time/money/patience on my photography business)
- I’m allergic to artificial yellow food dye
- I’m a huge fan of bully breed dogs (pitbulls, shepherds, rotties) and would trust a pitbull with my 2 year old over a Chihuahua any day.
- I’m a huge nerd